Sunday, December 28th, 2008
- Awesomeness is always looking for you. But are you looking for it?
- Writer/Podcaster J.C. Hutchins may very well be the king of turning life's lemons into lemonade. Who else would see a 6am wrong number as an opportunity to grow audience not just for himself, but for the caller as well?
- History of the town of Abington, Plymouth County, Massachusetts, from its first settlement
- The Internet Archive has a complete scan of this 1866 book by Benjamin Hobart, detailing the early history of the town where I grew up. Just stumbled across it by accident.
- *New* Google Reader (12/05/08) Tweaks
- If your finding the newer/cleaner/simpler Google Reader look to be harsher/cluttered/annoying then give this userstyle a try. The changes are subtle, but really bring Google Reader back to usable for me.
- Amazon Filler Item Finder
- Have you ever realized your Amazon.com order would qualify for free shipping if only you could find something cheap to put you over the minimum? Amazon Filler Item Finder lets you search for qualifying items by price for just this purpose.
Thursday, August 21st, 2008
- Tor’s e-book giveaway: Someone is WRONG on the Internet
- Tor books recently gave away a batch of free e-books as publicity for the new Tor.com. Many of the books were of the “first in series” variety. Some folks expected to be able to buy the sequels at Tor.com when it launched, and weren’t happy to find they could not. A representative from Tor responded, and it seems thing got a bit heated. An interesting look at an unintended side effect of “free” (be sure to read the comments).
- Zombies attack musician, everyone laughs (including musician)
- JoCo attacked by Zombies an the 2008 New Media Expo
- It’s a tasty thing
- J. Dack posits “Scalzi’s Law”. I doubt this will be disproved any time soon.
- Ballantine Books to Publish Book Inspired by the Webcomic Garfield Minus Garfield
- I enjoy the heck out of “Garfield Minus Garfield”, but I assumed it would go the way of “Dylan Hears a Who”. I applaud Jim Davis and Ballantine Books for embracing the comic strip remix rather than issuing the standard cease and desist notice.
- A sliderule to help determine copyright status.
- A Talk with JoCo
- Five part interview with Jonathan Coulton (both mp3s and transcripts are available).