- OpenDocument Foundation closes up shop after slamming OpenDocument Format
- As someone who hasn’t used word since the 90s, and never intends to go back, I’ve been watching the ODF vs OOXML stuff with interest. This chapter is just strange.
- Benchmarks: Hackintosh vs. Mac Pro vs. MacBook Pro Benchmarks
- Benmarks of the $800 hackintosh vs. some standard Apple offerings. Most of the comments miss the point of this article, which (I think) is not to do an Apples to apples comparison, but to show you what your $800 bucks gets you.
Tags: macmini hackintosh DIY hardware benchmark
- Hack Attack: Build a Hackintosh Mac for Under $800
- Are you interested in trying out Mac OS X Leopard, but not it buying a Mac? Are you used to building your own PCs from parts (I sure am)? This is your best bet.
Tags: macos hackintosh DIY hardware
- Stacks Overlays
- If the appearance of the Stacks in your Leopard dock annoys you as much as they do me, these might be for you.
- How to Size Text in CSS
- An excellent article showing how to get consistent text sizing across numerous browsers using CSS. A great starting point for anyone concerned with the end user experience.
Tags: design webdesign CSS typography fonts
Links of Interest (August 7th 2007 through August 15th 2007)
- Doubles champ
- Interview in the New Zeland Herald with Jemaine Clement. Discusses his new movie Eagle vs Shark, and the possibility of a second season for Flight of the Conchords on HBO.
- Television Studios Embrace BitTorrent
- It appears an exec at Warner Brothers Television used his neighbor’s child to leak the “Pushing Daisies” pilot via BitTorrent to help increase it’s exposure.
- The Optimus Prime PC Case Mod
- PC case transforms into a 6’10” Optimus Prime. Images with and without Autobot Matrix of Leadership.
- I Return To Doctor Who And Meet Kylie Minogue
- Colin Baker visits the set of the 2007 Doctor Who Christmas special “Voyage of the Damned”.
- Inflatable dress turns into a chair for impromptu sits
- Feel like sitting down? Walk around for a bit in this dress and it will turn into a chair. Why? I have no clue.
Links of Interest (June 8th 2007 through June 20th 2007)
- Got allergies? Tiny discovery nothing to sneeze at
- I hope this comes to something. My tree allergy is so bad I can’t eat most fruit. I miss fruit.
- Deconstructing a Star Wars AT-AT Imperial Walker Baby Stroller
- Thingamababy analyzes a DIY stroller conversion from a handful of photos.
- How To: Translate a foreign language RSS feed
- Using Yahoo Pipes to translate RSS feeds. Looks nice and simple.
- Future Sony e-book reader to offer IDPF format and Adobe DRM support?via Digital Editions
- Sounds like the next version of Sony Reader will support the IDPF open ebook standard. I like reading ebooks from dedicated readers, but I hate the hoops I have to jump through to get them on there. Sounds like a step in the right direction.
- Developers launch kid-safe add-on for Firefox
- Glubble is a Firefox plug-in that allows parents to create a whitelist of approved sites to let their kids visit.
- Dissecting a Plugin: Better Comments Manager
- Ronald Huereca disects the “Better Comments Manager” WordPress plugin, in what is hopefully the first of a series of articles of this type. Should be a great place to start if you’re trying to figure out how WordPress plugins work.
- Batman?s New Set of Wheels
- Slice of Sci-Fi has pics of the new Batcycle for “The Dark Knight”
- How victim snared ID thief / She chased down woman who had given her 6 months of hell
- Karen Lodrick bumped into the woman who had stolen her identity, and gave chase for the next 45 minutes!
- Primer, part two (glossary)
- Glossary for Diana Peterfreund’s primer on publishing.
- Primer, part one
- Diana Peterfreund’s primer on publishing.
- New Books, early June 2007
- Locus online’s listing of new SF/F/H books for early June 2007
- Ars System Guide: June 2007
- When I’m building a new PC for someone, this is where I start. Great if you’re trying to get the most bang for your buck.