Writing Updates: January 2008

8 Comments

1. Trillian1117 says:

Thanks for sharing this, Jason. It helps me to hear the struggles other writers have, especially in making/ taking time to write. I still seem to think everyone else just has the time and it’s easy. Mental block of mine, I guess, since that doesn’t make sense. Anyway, I appreciate hearing how you’re working to make it work for you, and trying different things. I think you’re doing great and making writing a priority in your already “full” life is wonderful. Reading what you wrote inspires me to consider working something out, also. Thanks!

2. Rob says:

I think the invisible man idea has already been done….

3. Jay says:

Trillian1117: I’m glad to hear you found the post helpful. A few years ago I realized I’d been waiting years until it was time for me to start writing. I kept thinking I’ll have more time, or I’ll have a better idea how to go about it, and then I’ll start. I’d still be waiting if I didn’t just start.

The other big mistake I made was believing I needed big chunks of time in my schedule. Learning to write is small bursts is still something I’m working on. I picked up How to Find Your Writing Discipline by Holly Lisle, and went through it recently. While (sadly) it didn’t help me carve out more time it taught me how to make much better use of the time I had.

Rob: Did you just read the first sentence, or did you hold on to that line the whole time?

Both: Thanks for stopping by, and especially for leaving comments.

4. Rock on, Jay! Keep pushing!

By the way, I think you turned me on to some of Holly Lisle’s non-fiction writing stuff. Fun reads, so thanks for that!

5. Paul says:

Hi Jay.

Glad things seem a bit more organized. Your writing goals seem challenging – thats for sure! While I’m not sure your writing is taking requests, I’d like to suggest that your future stories include verbage like “GadZooks”, “Dadgummit”, and other like minded terms for added flavor. I just dont see these sorts of things used enough over the course of my daily readings.
    Take care,
    -paul

ps. if you talk to PaulN – give him my best!

6. Jason Penney says:

Matthew: Thanks for the encouragement. Good luck on your 200k in 2008. I mentioned Holly Lisle’s books on Writers Talking if that’s what you are referring to. I’m glad you found them useful (I have).

Paul: Glad to hear from you. Hope things are well. I’ll take your suggestions under advisement (just the thought is making me smile, dadgummit). Perhaps these endangered terms could be used to liven up technical manuals.

7. Rob says:

I suggest using “whatchamacallit” as a catch all term, much like the noun/verb/adjective/adverb super word “smurf.” You could also receive product placement revenue from Hershey’s.

Come to think of it, product placement in literature has been a dramatically underexploited market. Think of the revenue posibilities for the “writers.” You can’t tell me that Doyle wouldn’t have sold out to Red Bull– its the kind of drink that’s right up Holmes’ alley.

8. […] all the way through the month without missing a day of writing, which if you remember my plan from last month means I didn’t have any weeks were I wrote more than five thousand words. I did write 14,732 […]