- Digital Dickens: How Scott Sigler is changing the way we read
- The Independent (UK) covers the upcoming UK release of Scott Sigler’s “Infected”.
- Leo Laporte Does 24 Hours of iPhone to Over a Quarter Million Viewers
- I always find Leo entertaining. I tuned into this a few times and was amazed at how even with numerous technical faults and no sleep he kept things interesting.
- Human Mirror
- Improve Everwhere fills a subway with identical twins creating a human mirror, and messing with peoples minds.
- Interview: Gaiman, Zelazny and More Coming To Your iPod
- An interview with Steve Feldberg, content director for Audible’s science-fiction/fantasy line Audible Frontiers who have been releasing some very exciting audiobooks (including the upcoming release of Fritz Leiber’s Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories)
- Story of a Peanut: The TiVo Remote’s Untold Past, Present and Future
- Fascinating history of the TiVo remote.
Links of Interest (November 23rd 2007 through November 25th 2007)
- A Chat with Kevin Falls, producer of “Journeyman”
- This interview clarifies what’s going on with NBC and Journeyman. Sounds like NBC does plan to air the rest of the season (except, it seems, the finale). It boggles the mind.Tags: NBC Journeyman TV
- In All Fairness … Internet Explorer Still Stinks
- “This is the story of how SitePoint tried to give Internet Explorer a fighting chance … and it lost anyway.” While IE7’s CSS support is certainly improved, it still contains a number of bugs.
- Comcast firmware update disables serial control
- I was bit by this, which resulted in shows flagged safe for KidZone really being whatever was on HBO. Switched to IR blaster, which misfired and so we missed the Macy’s Parade (kids are bummed). Thanks Comcast!
- Total HD dual-format discs unlikely to ever see the light of day
- Warner Brother’s attempt to help negate the HD Disc format war fails to get off the ground. If I’m reading the subtext, it’s because retailers wouldn’t know where to shelve them.Tags: Blu-ray HD DVD Total HD Warner Brothers
- NBC Gives Journeyman Two-Week Notice
- More proof (if needed) that NBC is run by morons. If the live Nielsens for Journeyman don’t improve November 26th, then they will yank the show. Watching via TiVo or Online does not count (even though they push watching the show online). *sigh*Tags: NBC morons Journeyman TV
Links of Interest (June 1st 2007)
- DVR viewers push ad ratings up
- This whole thing seems like a no-brainer to me, but it’s news to the suits.
- Closing the book on Apple’s Mac mini
- AppleInsider believes that the Mac mini is dead. Sounds like Apple will be pulling out of the sub-$800 market. It’s to bad if it’s true, because I have had money set aside waiting for the next-gen of the mini to be released. Guess I’ll upgrade my PC.
- Lumosity – Brain Fitness and Memory Improvement
- Online “brain fitness” program.
- European robots assist children in forming relationships
- Using robots to help autistic children form relationships.
- Under stairs storage: brilliant
- I never would have thought of doing this, but now that I see it I’m amazed at how obvious an idea it is.
Links of Interest (May 11th 2007 through May 16th 2007)
- Stop! Hammer Time! Firefox Extension
- Firefox Extension to MC Hammer-ize the stop button. Why? Not really sure.
- Four H.P. Lovecraft Lectures in podcast form
- Four lectures on H.P. Lovecraft by Dr. Justin Woodman
- This family gives their kids TV watching tickets to help limit their TV input per week and keep mom and dad from being the “bad guys”.
- Nudists Seek Younger Following, Graying Nudist Groups Reach Out To 20- And 30-Somethings
- “Here’s the naked truth about nude recreation: The people who practice it aren’t getting any younger.”
- Congress gets earful on net neutrality, CableCARD, YouTube from video execs
- Ars Techica’s coverage of “The Future of Video” discussion from the House Subcommittee on Telecommunications and the Internet hearing on May 10, 2007
Doctor Who US Premiere Today
The new series of Doctor Who begins airing tonight on the Sci-Fi channel in the US. The first two episodes will air back to back. I’ve seen it and it’s good stuff. Watch it! Set your Tivo.
You can find the schedule here.